Thursday, September 9, 2010

Let Me Guide You - A Look at Information Skills Models

I have been doing LOTS of reading recently about different information skills models. Inspired to make a start on my second assignment for ETL401 I went to http://www.shambles.net/pages/learning/infolit/infolitmod/ - this webpage is one of my favourite new discoveries - I could spend days there!


Looking at the variety of information skills models shown on this one site has reminded me of one the main reasons I began my teacher librarian training - I was and remain passionate about creating motivating and innovative, inquiry based, student-centred units of work and about empowering students with the skills and the tools to survive and THRIVE in the classroom and beyond. I delight in designing original tasks that foster critical thinking and ask students to think about and use information in new ways. As such I am looking forward to exposing my students to some of the different information skills models I have encountered as I believe that in doing so I will better cater for their different learning styles. I currently employ the NSW Information Process to good effect (I believe, I hope) in my teaching but I am excited about utilising 2 new models to help guide students on their information quests.

Firstly, Herring's PLUS model is one I found instantly appealing - and knew that my primary aged students would too - because of its user-friendly yet powerful acronym.



P = purpose / planning
L = location
U = use
S = self-evaluation


I was also excited by how flexible and adaptable this model seems to be. Not only is it easy to remember but it can be tailored (as Ripon Grammar’s modification shows) to suit personal needs and preferences. I look forward to applying it in its original form and learning from that experience how I might best modify this model (if indeed I really need to) to suit the needs of my students.


The second model I am impressed by is Kuhlthau’s ISP model as it is the only one to recognise the feelings experienced by the learner at each stage of the information process. Her attention to the Affective Domain makes her model instantly appealing to potential student users who will find reassurance from the fact that their feelings of uncertainty and confusion are both a normal and valuable part of the research process. Kuhlthau’s ISP model gives students the unique opportunity to gauge and monitor their progress along the inquiry process according to the feelings they experience and it invites them to see uncertainty as natural and essential for constructing personal knowledge. I think that this model with be a great tool for energizing students who are overwhelmed by, and consequentially stalled on, different stages of the information process – when they moan “I’m confused!”, “I can’t find it”, “I’m not sure” I’ll be able to instantly redirect them to Kuhlthau’s model, remind them that this is normal and indeed a sign of progress and focus their attention on the next step. I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment